Thursday, January 26, 2012

Italy and Language






I was doing my British literature homework and ironically we're reading a whole book by an Italian writer, it makes so much sense! But seriously.
I think I've officially decided that I'm going to HAVE to go to Italy through a study abroad program. I've been bouncing between Italy and Ireland for so long, but my friend from the Netherlands said Italy first, Ireland second. And all signs lead me to Italy!

But, I need to learn the language, desperately! And the thing is, I WANT to learn the language, unlike Spanish...blegh, just not a fan of it. But! Back to my reason for bringing up Brit Lit, the passage started with, "Our language falls far short of the
charms of the Italian, both for variety and harmony."

And it's funny that it's not just OUR language, but every language can fall short of this. We all live a different reality. We all refer to different things, and in unique ways. Americans probably have more words for cars than Eskimo Inuits do. As they have more words for snow. The reason our language falls short, in my opinion, is becaues I feel like we do not have the romantic, lively, beautiful (oh the list goes on in my mind) culture and environment that Italy does. So why have words to describe things like these? Well we don't, because there is no reason to.
AH.

Maybe I need to cut America some slack, but hey. The grass is always greener right?
Hopefully I can spend some time learning a bit on my own, and go from there.

Bella giornata....
have a lovely day :)


1 comment:

  1. ahhhh love both your new posts! that's sooo stinkin exciting that you want to go to italy! and that you're loving life :) can't wait to hear about all these new developments in yo life!

    ReplyDelete